#27 – The Lathrop House

One of the Peninsula’s oldest mansions, this classic example of early “Steamboat Gothic” architecture was built in 1863 as the residence of San Mateo County’s first Clerk, Recorder and Assessor, Benjamin G. Lathrop. Later the residence of Union General Patrick Edward Connor (who never fought the Confederates, but was more well known for leading the charge in the Bear River Massacre), and Sheriff Joel Mansfield.

Lathrop House is located in the center of Redwood City’s downtown area at 627 Hamilton Avenue, behind the old Courthouse and opposite the Hall of Justice which is built on the site of “California Square” – a Spanish plaza style park – deeded to the citizens of Redwood City in perpetuity by the original landholders; the Arguello family and Mezes family.  The Lathrop House is open for tours the first four Wednesdays and third Saturdays of every month, except August

This entry was posted in Community events, historic monuments, redwood city neighborhoods and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *